APPLE CIDER SPARKLING SIDECAR COCKTAIL
Apple Cider Sparkling Sidecar
The Sidecar is traditionally made with brandy, but this modern version from Karla Green, creative director at Watch Hill Proper in Prospect, Kentucky, highlights Barrell’s New Year 2023 Bourbon instead. Festive ingredients like spiced apple cider syrup and sparkling wine make this cocktail a natural choice for celebratory gatherings like a New Year’s Eve party.
● ½ ounce Chinese 5-spice apple cider syrup (recipe below)
● ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
● ¼ ounce dry curaçao
● ¾ ounce Barrell Bourbon New Year 2023
● 1 ½ ounce Blanc de Blancs sparkling wine
● Fresh fennel and dehydrated lemon medal, for garnish
Add apple cider syrup, lemon juice, dry curaçao, and Barrell Bourbon New Year 2023 to a shaker filled with ice. Shake quickly but firmly to meld flavors while avoiding over-dilution. Double strain into a chilled Nick and Nora glass or coupe, then top with sparkling wine and garnish with fresh fennel and dehydrated lemon medal.
Chinese 5-spice Apple Cider Syrup
● 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
● 1 ounce fresh pulp-free lemon juice (strained using a fine-mesh strainer)
● 1 cup organic apple juice
● 1 cup locally produced cider
● 2 cups granulated white sugar.
Heat apple juice and cider in a medium saucepan to approximately 180 degrees, being careful not to boil. Add spice and sugar, then stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer syrup into a clear, non-reactive container, such as a mason jar. When cooled, add lemon juice. Store in refrigerator.